Monday, October 6, 2008

Joy in the Journey

I've thought a lot about President Monson's last talk in Sunday pm GenConf. It seems that mothers of small children never get enough quiet time, sleep, clean floors, or shiny windows. What we get instead is lots of hugs, lots of attention, lots of conversation, and never a dull moment. Now fast forward 15 years. All we'll have is quiet time, full-nights' sleep, clean floors and shiny windows. We'll never get enough hugs, attention, conversation, and excitement. So, finding the joy in the here and now seems like the easy part. But that's not all President Monson said. He also said we shouldn't put things off for tomorrow. I want to sing in Colorado Mormon Chorale. I want to dig into family history. I want to learn to sew quilts. I want to spend more time with my preteen daughter. I want to exercise every day. I want to play the violin and piano every day. Those are the things I seem to be putting off. Like I put off learning to do a cartwheel until it's everlastingly too late. That's the hard part. Balancing family needs with things I'm putting off. I wonder if that's what he meant.

1 comment:

Chadlee said...

Well said. I struggle with finding joy in the here and now, too. I hope you are able to accomplish those dreams you are contemplating.